Search Results

View of the Hardy County Bank and surrounding buildings on Main Street in Moorefield.

13. Hardy County Bank, Hardy County, W. Va.

14. Heltzel Block, Wardensville, Hardy County, W. Va.

New Moorefield Courthouse was finished in 1913.

15. Moorefield Courthouse, Hardy County, W. Va.

View of the old Court House on Main Street in Moorefield, opposite the Presbyterian Church. 'The old brick Court House on Main Street was the second Court House. This fine old building sat back about thirty feet from the side walk with an iron fence in front. This was done by the Eberlys. This building was used until 1913 when the new Court House on Washington Street was opened. It was a nice cool old building. The large trees in the yard provided nice shade for loafers on hot summer days and the well of cold fresh water is just hidden by the scales along the street. There was always several benches in the yard in the summer time. Just inside of the front door wide steps led to the main court room on the second floor. The court room had a gallery around the North, East, and South sides with Judges stand and Jury seats in the West. The gallery was held up by large iron posts. At this time (1955) some of these old iron posts are serving as porch posts at the home of Howard Williams West of town. On the first floor a passage way led around both sides of the steps and into a hall in the center of which led to the back of the building. On both sides of this hall were offices for the Sheriff, Clerk, and lawyers. Picture is from Miss Maie Alexanders Moorefields Oldest Htg. and Appl. dealer collection.'

16. Old Courthouse on Main Street, Moorefield, W. Va.

View of the old Mullin Hotel in Moorefield. 'This picture was probably made about 1907-1908. The man on the steps is Mr. H. S. Carr, a well-known Moorefield lawyer. The man to his right with the can is Mr. Seymore who then owned the property on the Northeast corner of Winchester Avenue and Franklin Street.'

17. Mullin Hotel, Moorefield, W. Va.

View of the Taylor and Price Store on the Northwest corner of Main Street and Winchester Avenue in Moorefield. It was built around 1860, and torn down July 1959. 'This building was built before the war between the states, by Mr. Alfred Taylor. Mr. Taylor had a small tannery back of this building on the bank of the fork which ran back of there then. Many firms have done business in this building during the years. In 1876 a news paper was being published on the second floor of this building, called the Courier and Advertiser and published by Mr. Samuel D. Gordon. In the picture the man with the frock-tail coat standing on the platform is Mr. Alfred Taylor who built the building. I am told this picture was taken about 1880 The man at the window was Mr. R. C. Price. The Friddles have had a barbershop in one room of this building for over fifty five years. At various times the building has housed jewelry stores, millinery stores, groceries, clothing stores, hardware stores, etc.'

18. Taylor and Price Store on Corner of Main Street and Winchester Avenue, Moorefield, W. Va.

View of Bean's Garage, Moorefield's first garage. 'In 1909 M. A. Bean, a farm boy from 'up the river', came to town and started a livery stable at the present location of Bean's Garage (1954). In 1911 he bought a high wheeled International Automobile and started in the taxi business. In 1912 he bought a Buick and added it to the taxi service. It was in 1912 that he also got the Ford Dealership in Moorefield and started to sell automobiles, and installed his first gasoline pump. In 1918, Mr. Bean got the Gulf Distributorship for several counties in this section. Until 1952 part of the old original livery stable still housed part of the garage. In one year during Bean's Garage history they sold 380 automobiles which was their record year.'

19. Bean's Garage, Moorefield, W. Va.

View of Hackney's Drug Store at the Northeast corner of Main and Washington Streets occupied this location from 1910 to 1950. This building was built in 1910 by Dr. R. E. L. Hackney of Washington, D. C. who was a Dentist, and made his home in Moorefield from 1910 until his death. He operated a Drug Store and Soda Fountain on the first floor and had his Dental Offices on the second floor front rooms. The back rooms on the second floor were occupied for some years by Club Do-Easy. Dr. Hackney sold out in (date unkown) and Chambers and Williams operated a garage here, building a shop farther back on the lot, which is now the Moose Home. The Loyal Order of Moose bought the property in (date unknown) having rented it for several years from another owner. In (date unknown) they tore down the Drug Store Building. A Bakery was operated in this building at one time by a man by the name or Ours.

20. Hackney's Drug Store, Moorefield, W. Va.

View of the old Methodist Church built in 1850 in Moorefield. This was a brick building. In latter years it was gray. It was a two story building with an auditorium on the second floor. This church was torn down in 1918 or 1919 to make room for the new Methodist Church called the Duffey Memorial. 'Steps led from the second floor hall to a balcony or gallery.'

21. Methodist Church, Moorefield, W. Va.

22. Hardy County Bank and Post Office in Moorefield, Hardy County, W. Va.

23. Antebellum Manor House at Mill Island, Hardy County, W. Va.

A pleasure and health resort located on Howard's Lick Run. The property was owned at one time by General Henry "Light-Horse Harry" Lee, who gave it to his son, Charles Carter Lee.

24. Howard's Lick Hotel, Hardy County, W. Va.