Search Constraints

You searched for: Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView Topical Subjects Railroads--Engines and Cars. Remove constraint Topical Subjects: Railroads--Engines and Cars.
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

A picture of series 1201-1212, type 4-6-6-4, class M-2 locomotive engine on Western Maryland Railway at Ridgeley, W. Va.  The engine is built by Baldwin Locomotive Works (no. 62453)in 1940 with following specification: wt--601,000lb; cyl.4-23x32; dri. 69"; T.F. 95,500 lb.; B.P. 250lb.
A picture of series 1201-1212, type 4-6-6-4, class M-2 locomotive engine on Western Maryland Railway at Ridgeley, W. Va.  The engine is built by Baldwin Locomotive Works (no. 62463)in 1940 with following specification: wt--601,000lb; cyl.-4-23x32; dri. 69"; T.F. 95,500 lb.; B.P. 250lb.
A picture of series 9502, type 2-8-2, class H-X-A, Side Tank locomotive engine at Dickinson, W. Va.  Locomotive built by American Locomotive Co. in 1907.
B&O 1239, E-8-60 locomotive engine on B&O Railway at Clarksburg, Harrison County, W. Va.  The engine is built by Baldwin Loc. Wks. in 1893 and scrapped in 1942.
X-1 992 locomotive engine on N&W Railway at Bluefield, W. Va.  The engine is built by Schenectady in May 1910 (no. 47174).
Norfolk and Western A 1232;  Norfolk and Western (#360) with 4-8-2, K-2; #134 and other locomotive engines on N&W Railway at Depot at Williamson, W. Va.
A picture of A 1232 locomotive engine on N&W Railway of Roanoke being serviced at Williamson, W. Va.
C.A. Ray with several crew members, C&O R.R..
'R. Chafey, owner. Pete Chanel was the engineer on this log train'.
Monongahela freight locomotive engine (120).
Locomotive 'Westward Ho!' built by Roger in 1857 with 'cylinder 12"; diam. 20" stove; Diam of Driving Wheels 54".'
'Engineer, Robert S. Rigg and Porter 0-4-0, 24ton Locomotive #3 of Acme Limestone Co., Fort Spring, W. Va.. in 1930's.  Locomotive was purchased from Haley, Chisom & Morris builders of the "New" Big Bend Tunnel on the C.& O. where the locomotive was used.'
A B&O Engine in an unidentified rail yard.
Built by Ensign MFG. Co., Huntington, W. Va..
A West Virginia Short Line R.R. car 1057 built by American Car & Foundry Co. in Huntington, W. Va..
A Cumberland Valley Rail Road engine 'Pioneer' 'made for streetcar like line' in Grafton yard.
Chapter 20, page 224.
'Built by the Ensign Electric Co. in Huntington, W. Va. (Cabell County) April 19, 1899.  It is important to note that both the Southern Pacific and Chesapeake and Ohio were owned by  Collis P. Huntington and seeing railroad equipment to be used out West but built in Huntington was not uncommon.'
'This car has its W. Va. connection because it was built by the Ensign Manufacturing Company in Huntington.  The Eastern Kentucky Railroad existed from 1865 until 1933 and ran from Riverton Greenup Ky. through Grayson County Ky. to Webbville Lawrence County Ky. on the Wayne County West Virginia border.'
Ely Thomas Lumber Company would have transferred its freight to the Nicholas, Fayette & Greenbrier, a short lived railroad that ran from Swiss, Nicholas County to Meadow Creek, Fayette County.  The NF&G was jointly owned by the New York Central and Chesapeake & Ohio Railroads.'
'This later became parts of both the Western Maryland and Chesapeake & Ohio Railroads (Pocahontas County.)'
'Cabell County just after the NS/CSX takeover in 1999. No. 402
'Charles Helms on Engine 104; First proprietor, Blen Avon Hotel, N.D. Grafton.'
Refer to image 025687.
'This coach was built in 1860, cost $6,036.00; used by Virginia Central during Civil War and was one of the first passenger coaches used by C&O in W. Va.; used in shop train at Huntington for many years.  It is scrapped in 1931.'
'Westward Ho - Delivered to Va. Central July 1857.  Picture taken at Winifred Junction 1870.  Andy F. Southworth, engineer, 'Barney' Hagen, fireman, standing on left side of pilot with tallow pot in his hand.'
A flatcar is of Atlantic Coast Line and the car on top is Cumberland Valley Rail Road in Grafton train yard.
'Cab of junked engine removed and used on other.  John Noon and Pat O'Brian shown scrapping one engine.'
'#1 R.H. Gratz, BLW 1743, 7/18/68, 15x18" 44 0 21 ton. Ancient engine, the Gratz, one of the two engines which operated on the Laurel Fork and Sand Hill Rail Road.  Taken around 1880-1890.  Two persons on the tender are unidentified, but Swearingen said the two others were David Reece, engineer, and C. M. Jones, master mechanic.  The engine was scrapped in 1897, along with th railroad system.  (Picture to accompany Parkersburg News article, July 10, 1960).'
'The old double engine used on the Laurel Fork and Sand Hill R.R. Taken near high trestle, Wilch Rollin, fireman with whiskers; Bob Fleming, engineer; Oth Collin, passenger with cane. #2 Mas W. R. Sterling BLW 3222, 5-1873.'
Called 'George E. Emerson'; Chapter 34, p.446.
B&O's "Tom Thumb", First American Built Locomotive; Chapter 20, p. 224
Railroad at Grafton, P. Jennings, engineer, Jas. Jennings, stoker.
'Eng No. 33 Placed on Road 1870.'
'R.P. Murray, Engineer, (father of E.A. Murray, Shop Superintendent) standing with oil can in hand; employed in 1852 by Virginia Central Railroad. On Mr. Murray's right is C.I. Smith, Fireman, employed by Virginia Central Railroad in 1886". The Virginia Central connected the Virginia Tidewater to the Ohio River at Point Pleasant, West Virginia.