Search Constraints

You searched for: Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView Topical Subjects Dwellings--West Virginia--Morgantown. Remove constraint Topical Subjects: Dwellings--West Virginia--Morgantown. Topical Subjects Cities--Morgantown--Homes. Remove constraint Topical Subjects: Cities--Morgantown--Homes.
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

The house was located opposite St. Paul's African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church. This church was replaced with the Mt. Herman Baptsit Church in 1991 after it was torn down. All persons in the photo are unidentified. Information on p. 131, 163 in "Our Monongalia" by Connie Park Rice. Information with the photograph includes "Courtesy of Jack Ward Jr.".
John Edwards ran the first water service in Morgantown. He married Sarah Jackson in 1865 and bought the land that he built his house on in 1877. It was originally 79 White Avenue. It is now 477 White Avenue. The house was demolished in 1989. Information on p. 35 in "Our Monongalia" by Connie Park Rice. Information with the photograph includes "Courtesy of Gwendolyn Edwards".
John Hunt was an African American businessman who operated several resorts, hotels and eateries in Morgantown. He was one of the African American businessmen who became wealthy from enterprises in the service industry. The house was located between Colson Hall and Purinton House on West Virginia University's downtown campus. Information on p. 40,99, in "Our Monongalia" by Connie Park Rice. Information with the photograph includes "Reproduced from the John H. Hunt family photos, held by WVU Women's Centenary Project, Center for Women's Study Archive. Original Loaned by Virginia Hunt Chandler.
Split stone home built of stone from an old flouring mill and dam. The home is located on Stewartstown Road in Morgantown in Monongalia County, West Virginia.
This split stone home was built with stone from an old flouring mill and dam in the Suncrest area of Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia.
Home of first United States Senator of West Virginia, Waitman T. Willey.
The Old Stone House was built by Jacob Nuze and sold to tavern keeper Henry Dering in 1795. Potters John Thompson and Jacob Foulk owned the structure from 1800 until 1813 when it was brought by Joseph Shackleford who operated a tanyard on the property for 50 years. Shackleford was also a minister and led the first Methodist reform movement in the area.
Home of early and widely known physician of Morgantown for more than a half century. McLane built the house in 1840 on the southwest corner of High and Kirk Streets and resided there until his death in 1878.
An old brick home which was built before 1798 and occupied by John Davis in 1803. This house is located on the corner of High and Pleasant Streets in Morgantown, West Virginia.
Home of Mr. John Madigan, owner of the South Morgantown Traction Company in Morgantown, West Virginia. The house was located on Dorsey Avenue.
Unidentified members of possibly the Mathers family outside the house in Morgantown.
Drusilla Morgan, 1815-1904 is the daughter of Captain Zacquill Morgan, the granddaughter of Colonel Zackquill Morgan and the great aunt of Max Mathers. Nimrod McGeorge is her nephew.
Note the brick paved street and street car tracks in front of the house.
The two little girls sitting on the steps are Margaret Ross and Margaret Mathers.
Caption with photograph: "No one knows Of Bounaparte Allsupe. He appeared at Uffington near Morgantown, W. Va. years ago and got possession of the island just above Uffington which is still locally known as "Allsupe Island" . . . He got into a quarrel with a neighbor and shot him.  He served a only few years of a 12 year sentence. He gave his lawyer the island and when he was released he was a mental wreck. He built a "lean to" against a rock and has since lived there."
Marshall Hagans and his granddaughter, Lillie sit on the front porch of Mr. Hagans home in Morgantown, West Virginia.
Unidentified woman stands in the doorway with two children sitting on the stoop. Note Beechurst Avenue was still unpaved.
Possibly the home of Eugene Mathers.
Located on High Street in Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia. Family members nor occupants of the buggy are not identified.
May and Calvin Smith sitting on the front porch of their home at 669 Jones Ave.
Post card print of Dr. I. C. White's home. There is a long note on the back to "Mother" from "MHS". See original for context of the note.