Search Constraints

You searched for: Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView Topical Subjects Counties--Jefferson. Remove constraint Topical Subjects: Counties--Jefferson.
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Group portrait of United Mine Workers leaders and lawyers at Jefferson County Courthouse, W. Va. Front Row, Left to Right; James M. Mason, C. J. Van Fleet, Samuel B. Montgomery, Harold Wilkins Houston, William Blizzard, John L. Lewis, Charles Franklin Keeney.
Drawing of the hanging of John Brown at Charles Town, Jefferson County, West Virginia, approximately 12 miles from the site of his raid at Harpers Ferry.
'The handsome porphyry mantel was a present sent to General George Washington by General Lafayette from France.  The portrait over the mantelpiece is that of Colonel Samuel Washington.  In this drawing room in 1794 Dolly Payne Todd became the wife of James Madison, later President of the United States.'
'The home of Colonel Samuel Washington, brother of General George Washington.  Built by George Washington for his brother Samuel about the year 1765.  Here Samuel Washington entertained Louis Phillippe, later King of France, and General Lafayette.'
Fort building stands in a field where two children are playing in the foreground. Inscription with the image, 'The present site of John Brown's Fort as it now stands in a field overlooking the Shenandoah River, in [West] Virginia, a few miles from where it originally stood at Harper's Ferry.  It was placed here at the request of Kate Field, of Washington after it was exhibited at the World's Fair in Chicago.'
View of a church and graveyard at Middleway. It was formerly Smithfield, West Virginia.
Modern new grandstand and lighted track are features at Shenandoah Downs track in Jefferson County, a mecca for followers of horse racing.
View of the Lee House in Leetown, Jefferson County. 'Now the house of A. B. Hirst.'
View of the Charles Town Academy, one of the first West Virginia academies, founded in 1797. Three sons of James Madison, fourth president of the United States, were educated here.
Built in 1836, the courthouse was twice the scene of treason trials- abolitionist John Brown in 1859 and leaders of the coal miners' 1921 armed march in Southern West Virginia.
View of Claymont Court near Charles Town. The ante-bellum mansion was built in 1840 by Bushrod Corbin Washington, after the first dwelling burnt down in 1838. Washington was George Washington's grand-nephew. The mansion has a formal ballroom and two-story, columned porches.
Most elaborate of the Washington family plantations. This structure was built by Bushrod Corbin Washington in 1840. Washington was the grand-nephew of George Washington and the grandson of John Augustine Washington.
View looking down Harpers Ferry Road in Maryland, along the canal and the Potomac River. Harpers Ferry and Loudon Heights are seen in the background.
'From an article in the Morgantown Post published in August 6, 1938.  Charles Town Academy, one of the first W. Va. academies, was founded in 1979.  Three sons of James Madison, 4th President of the United States, were educated here.  This photograph was taken in 1877.'
'Claymont- one of the Washington Homes near Charles Town, W. Va.'
View of cows near fence at Jefferson County.
Showing Three States, W. Va., Va., and Md.
Soon after the Civil War, John Storer contributed $10,000 towards establishing a college in Harpers Ferry, W. Va. This institution of higher learning was the first college below the Mason- Dixon Line to accept students "without distinction of race or color". The school bears the name of it's principle benefactor,  Storer College.
This tavern was built in 1740 in Middleway, formerly called Smithfield, and the tavern in this picture is part of the original building.
Information included with the photograph, "Built in 1776, a famous tavern known for wonderful flower garden on hill across run - Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Holl from Holland."
"Built in 1795 by David Harris, after whom Harrisburg, Pa. was named. It is part of a very long old frame building, a part of which still stands."
The Selby-Hamtramck House, the "most fashionable hotel in town."
This tavern was "built in 1742 by the McCormick brothers."
The tavern is "3/4 of a mile east of Summit Point in Jefferson County - built in 1742 by McCormick brothers as a fort - (Indians)."
"Built 1740, built by a German named Henry Smith."
"Built 1740."
Home of Julia McDonald Davis wife of John W. Davis, mother of Julia Davis.