Search Constraints

You searched for: Personal Names Brown, John, 1800-1859. Remove constraint Personal Names: Brown, John, 1800-1859. Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

The U.S. Army Buildings which John Brown took possession of. Harpers Ferry, W. VA. Junction of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. Meeting of the States of MD., W. VA., and VA.  Arsenal captured, October 16, 1859.
Fort building stands in a field where two children are playing in the foreground. Inscription with the image, 'The present site of John Brown's Fort as it now stands in a field overlooking the Shenandoah River, in [West] Virginia, a few miles from where it originally stood at Harper's Ferry.  It was placed here at the request of Kate Field, of Washington after it was exhibited at the World's Fair in Chicago.'
People are standing in front of the John Brown Exhibits building in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
Known as the Kennedy Farm, John Brown rented the homestead using the name "Issac Smith", in the summer of 1859. Located across the Potomac River from Virginia, it was here Brown finalized his plans to raid the United States Armory at Harpers Ferry. The woman in the photograph is not identified.
Albumen print dates from 1870-1895.
The outside cover of John Brown's jail house Bible
The inside leaves of John Brown's jail house Bible,including an inscription written by Brown to John Blessing. Before Brown's Execution, he presented the Bible to Blessing as show of gratitude for Blessing's acts of kindness.
The last picture taken of the old jail in which John Brown was confined at Charles Town, W. Va.
Photograph of the fort's exterior. It was built in 1848 as a guard and fire engine house for the federal Harpers Ferry Armory in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, then a part of Virginia. Storer College was a historically black college. The fort was on the campus of Storer College from 1909 to 1968.
A view of John Brown's Fort in Harper's Ferry, W. Va.