Search Constraints

You searched for: Medium print Remove constraint Medium: print Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView Topical Subjects Dwellings--West Virginia--Morgantown. Remove constraint Topical Subjects: Dwellings--West Virginia--Morgantown.
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Lawrence Jackson with a cigarette, standing in front of several neighborhood houses. Information with the photograph includes "Courtesy of Bobbie Drew Ward".
The house was located opposite St. Paul's African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church. This church was replaced with the Mt. Herman Baptsit Church in 1991 after it was torn down. All persons in the photo are unidentified. Information on p. 131, 163 in "Our Monongalia" by Connie Park Rice. Information with the photograph includes "Courtesy of Jack Ward Jr.".
John Edwards ran the first water service in Morgantown. He married Sarah Jackson in 1865 and bought the land that he built his house on in 1877. It was originally 79 White Avenue. It is now 477 White Avenue. The house was demolished in 1989. Information on p. 35 in "Our Monongalia" by Connie Park Rice. Information with the photograph includes "Courtesy of Gwendolyn Edwards".
John Hunt was an African American businessman who operated several resorts, hotels and eateries in Morgantown. He was one of the African American businessmen who became wealthy from enterprises in the service industry. The house was located between Colson Hall and Purinton House on West Virginia University's downtown campus. Information on p. 40,99, in "Our Monongalia" by Connie Park Rice. Information with the photograph includes "Reproduced from the John H. Hunt family photos, held by WVU Women's Centenary Project, Center for Women's Study Archive. Original Loaned by Virginia Hunt Chandler.
Split stone home built of stone from an old flouring mill and dam. The home is located on Stewartstown Road in Morgantown in Monongalia County, West Virginia.
This split stone home was built with stone from an old flouring mill and dam in the Suncrest area of Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia.
Home of first United States Senator of West Virginia, Waitman T. Willey.
The Old Stone House was built by Jacob Nuze and sold to tavern keeper Henry Dering in 1795. Potters John Thompson and Jacob Foulk owned the structure from 1800 until 1813 when it was brought by Joseph Shackleford who operated a tanyard on the property for 50 years. Shackleford was also a minister and led the first Methodist reform movement in the area.
Home of early and widely known physician of Morgantown for more than a half century. McLane built the house in 1840 on the southwest corner of High and Kirk Streets and resided there until his death in 1878.
An old brick home which was built before 1798 and occupied by John Davis in 1803. This house is located on the corner of High and Pleasant Streets in Morgantown, West Virginia.
Old stone house owned by Michael Kerns in 1772. Holes were built into the house to watch for attacking Indians. The house was located beneath the South High Street Bridge.
Home of Mr. John Madigan, owner of the South Morgantown Traction Company in Morgantown, West Virginia. The house was located on Dorsey Avenue.
Unidentified members of possibly the Mathers family outside the house in Morgantown.
Drusilla Morgan, 1815-1904 is the daughter of Captain Zacquill Morgan, the granddaughter of Colonel Zackquill Morgan and the great aunt of Max Mathers. Nimrod McGeorge is her nephew.
Note the brick paved street and street car tracks in front of the house.
The two little girls sitting on the steps are Margaret Ross and Margaret Mathers.
Caption with photograph: "No one knows Of Bounaparte Allsupe. He appeared at Uffington near Morgantown, W. Va. years ago and got possession of the island just above Uffington which is still locally known as "Allsupe Island" . . . He got into a quarrel with a neighbor and shot him.  He served a only few years of a 12 year sentence. He gave his lawyer the island and when he was released he was a mental wreck. He built a "lean to" against a rock and has since lived there."
Marshall Hagans and his granddaughter, Lillie sit on the front porch of Mr. Hagans home in Morgantown, West Virginia.
Unidentified woman stands in the doorway with two children sitting on the stoop. Note Beechurst Avenue was still unpaved.
Possibly the home of Eugene Mathers.
Three unidentified women pose in front of a home in Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia.
Located on High Street in Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia. Family members nor occupants of the buggy are not identified.
May and Calvin Smith sitting on the front porch of their home at 669 Jones Ave.
Front Street is now University Avenue. Stewart Hall on the West Virginia University campus is in the background.
Post card print addressed to Mrs. M. L. Haldeman from Mrs. E. M. Dille.
Post card print of Dr. I. C. White's home. There is a long note on the back to "Mother" from "MHS". See original for context of the note.
A six room house with 22 occupants.
A six room house with 15 occupants, including 11 boarders. Most occupants of these dwelling were Italian, Greek, Hungarian and Slavic immigrants.
Four room house.
A five room house with nine occupants, seven were boarders.
An 8 room house with 22 occupants.
Two room rental for $4.00 a month.
Romanian woman white washing a fence on her property.
Unidentified men building a new fence around South Sabraton dwellings on Sturgiss Street.
The "dry closet" is erected over an open water course. Framed building on the right is a street car barn.
View of backyards with "pit closets".
Back yard of house on Sturgiss Avenue with unidentified child in rocker and large pile of barrels.
Located on Listrava Avenue.
Listrava Avenue, a county road runs through South Sabraton.
Listrava Avenue, 5 room houses.
Listrava Avenue, 9 room house.
Listrava Avenue, 6 room houses.
Listrava Avenue, 9 room house.
Sturgiss Avenue, 7 room tar paper house.
Open drain on Sturgiss Avenue.
Located on Listrava Avenue, 5 room house without indoor plumbing.
Listrava Avenue, 5 room house with grocery business addition.
Located on Long Alley, 4 room tar paper structure with unidentified woman and child standing on the porch.
Sturgiss Avenue, 6 room house.
Listrava Avenue, 3 room house with ten occupants, including eight boarders who sleep in one room.
Listrava Avenue, 6 room house, rented for $15.00 per month and has 17 occupants. Most occupants were Eastern European Immigrants.
A glimpse of the old Methodist Church Steeple through the tree, gives a good idea of the general elevation of Chancery Hill.
From the pamphlet, "Chancery Hill, Morgantown, W. Va." page 11.
From the pamphlet "Chancery Hill, Morgantown, W. Va." page 7.
' "Wood's house" of two horse drawn wagons, each pulling a man, a boy and furniture on Pleasant Street and University Ave in Morgantown, W. Va.
Home of Walter A. Mestrezat, first WVU band director, his home was located on University Ave in Morgantown, W. Va.
Located just east of High Street, Morgantown High School was eventually built next door to the Wade House,(left, background) and the football field is now where the Brown House stands (center).
This house was torn down to make room for two parking lots. It was located on Spruce Street.
This house was torn down to make room for two parking lots. It was located on Spruce Street.
Walter Mestrezat  was WVU's first band director.
Walter was the first WVU band director.
'Home of Col John Evans, "Walnut Hill." Stood near where the St. Francis High School now stands. Left to right: 1) Unknown 2) Unknown 3) Unknown 4) Sitting- Charles Stoneking 5) Clyde Snider 6) Sitting- Charles Cook, 7) John Cook 8) Standing on box- Unknown, 9) Arthur Llewellyn, 10) Sitting- Duke Cairney, 11) Ray Houston, 12) Abagail Cook, 13) Icie Cook, 14) Thornton Flowers, 15) Addie Snider, 16) William E. King, 17) Hattie Stoneking. William E. King and Hattie Stoneking latter were married and were the parents of Mrs. Raymond(Frona) Coburn, Mrs. Paul(Ruth) Huggins and Mrs. Clarence (Cecile) Milligan. Abagail Cook married Samuel King and were the parents of Frank and Paul King.'Note: St. Francis High School has since been demolished.
This photo was taken from Sunnyside.
The photo is taken when the Morgantown Methodist Protestant congregation was organized.
The cabin of Joseph Tennant on Jake Run, built about 1820.
Residence of Colonel Evans, where the land commissioners met, one mile from Morgantown.  From a drawing by Miss Addie Ireland in 1900.  General Washington spent a night in this house in 1784.
"Beat the Pants Off the Cavaliers", a fraternity house raises the spirit by decorating the house.
Cars lined up for a Ku Klux Klan meeting with Morgantown homes in the background.
Site Now Occupied by Main Street Business Block and Theatre.
Located on the corner of University and Grant Avenue.
Members are shooting a Cannon, banner hanging from house says, 'The South Has Risen'
Potential members of the fraternity clean the truck and the members watch.