Search Constraints

You searched for: Geographic Names Weston (W. Va.) Remove constraint Geographic Names: Weston (W. Va.) Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Thursday, January 10, 1884, 2:00 p.m.  Looking from the window of a hotel.
Caption on back of photograph reads: "Picture taken at Weston as Mrs. Davis signs oath of office as only woman member of State Advisory Board Department of Public Assistance. After Mrs. Rush Holt, Secretary of State, administered the oath."
The Holt family gathered in front of their Christmas tree.
Also known as Weston State Hospital.
The church was organized in 1833.
The church was organized in 1844.  The present building was completed in 1875.
St. Patrick's Schools is to the left of the church in the picture.  The church was organized in 1845. The present church building was opened in 1915.
The church was organized in 1846 and the present frame church was built in 1884.
Photo postcard of the Monongalia cottage at the state 4-H camp in Weston.  See original for inscription.
Wilda married Robert Hugh Butcher in 1934.
Dolly went on to marry Claude Turner (b. 1891- d. 1968). Together, they had a daughter, Wilda Juanita Turner Butcher (b. 1915- d. 1999).
Portrait of a young Wilda Juanita Turner as she reads a book.
Claude Turner poses with his two dogs while his granddaughter Elizabeth Carole Butcher (b. 1934) balances on the automobile's bumper. Elizabeth later married a Weaver family member.
Butcher stands in front of a tire at Hitt's Filling Station in Weston, W. Va. He is 3 years old in this photograph.
Butcher leans against an automobile outside the store in Lewis County, W. Va.
"The Weston State Hospital, also known as the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, was constructed in the late 1800s and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1990. It is the largest hand-cut stone masonry building in North America, and is purportedly the second largest in the world, next to the Kremlin. The original hospital, designed to house 250 souls, was open to patients in 1864 and reached its peak in the 1950s with 2,400 patients in overcrowded and generally poor conditions. Changes in the treatment of mental illness and the physical deterioration of the facility forced its closure in 1994 inflicting a devastating effect on the local economy, from which it has yet to recover. Today, the hospital is open to historical tours and ghost tours."
Possibly located in Weston, W. Va.