Search Constraints

You searched for: Geographic Names Tygart Valley River (W. Va.) Remove constraint Geographic Names: Tygart Valley River (W. Va.) Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

View of a factory on the side of the Tygart Valley River.
'Printed Backwards.'
Bridge crossing the river going into Grafton, W. Va.
Scene of work being done on the dam.
The Tygart River Dam in Grafton, W. Va.
The Tygart River Dam in Grafton, W. Va. opened.
The backside of the Tygart River Dam near Grafton in Taylor County. A boat rests on the shore in the foreground.
A view of the Upper Connoquenessing Sandstone in Tygart Valley Falls in Marion County, West Virginia. Taken by the Geological Survey.
'Tygart Dam on Tygart River near Grafton backs-up a large man-made lake where swimming, fishing, boating, and picnicking can be enjoyed.'
Four people are enjoying Valley Falls in the Tygart Valley River which is located in both Marion and Taylor Counties in West Virginia.
The Tygart Valley River is on the left, Monongahela River is in the center, and the West Fork River is on the right. 'Around Fairmont 115 leave 215 for Connellsvile. Quite a pretty town altho hilly. Want to finish writing this eve or in am.' Postcard sent to Miss Ester Shirley, Shen Jct, W. Va. on December 14, 1909.
'22.D.38; July 14, 1884, Monday 2 pm.'
'39.W.(17); July 14, 1884, Monday 2 pm'
The city of Grafton is in Taylor County.
A View of West Grafton across the river.
B&O Roundhouse visible at right.
The town of Belington is in Barbour county.
The debris after a flood stopped by the Tygart River Reservoir Dam.  On the back facts on the dam are noted: 'Supervision: Corps, U. S. Army Engineers, Pittsburgh, Pa., Contractors: Frederick Snare Corp., New York, N. Y., Length 1900 Ft., Height: 265 Ft., Shore Line of lake: 68.6 miles, Photo: W. R. Loar & Son, Grafton, W. Va.'
"Beauty spot six miles north on the boundary of Taylor and Marion counties where Tygarts Valley River dashes through a mile-long gorge in series of lovely falls and rapids.  Included in 1000-acre grant to Thomas Parkeson in 1773."
'M. M. & D. D. Brown logging equipment brought into Elkins yard near sawmill for storage and reshipment to Spring Creek, W. Va.'.
The three men are associated with the logging and sawmill business in Montes. The river is most likely the Tygart Valley River.
' The above is the old log boom anchors on rock cribs to which the log booms were attached. All the mills at Grafton formed the Grafton Boom Company to impound or store the logs cut on the headwaters of the Tygarts Valley River. At times these logs reached some four or five miles back up the river from the boom. As the logs were needed by the mills they would be sorted and made into rafts and floated down to the mill of the owner as determined by their brand. The expense of this boom was prorated among the different mill operators.  Previous to his coming to Grafton George Curtin, one of the partners of Pardee and Curtin Lumber Company, was boomed superintendent at Lock Haven, Pa., and came from there to Grafton and acted as boom superintendent on the above boom and later joined up with Barton Pardee in forming the original Pardee & Curtin Lumber Company.  During the flood of 1888 all of their holdings were washed away, and it is reported that George Curtin didn't have anything left but the shirt on his back. He went to Fairmont and he and Mr. Watson went on each other's paper for a loan of a thousand dollars with which to start a business again.  In driving from Grafton to Grafton Dam these boom cribs may be seen. D. D. Brown, his wife, and grandson saw these on November 11, 1945.'
Post card print of South Grafton and the Tygart River.
Colored postcard photograph. See back of the original image for correspondence.
Postcard photograph of the train track running along the river outside of Belington.