Search Constraints

You searched for: Geographic Names John Brown's Fort (Harpers Ferry, W. Va.) Remove constraint Geographic Names: John Brown's Fort (Harpers Ferry, W. Va.) Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

John Brown's fort, the Engine House of the U. S. Arsenal in Harpers Ferry, W. Va.
A woman reads the historic markers next to a monument to John Brown's Fort in Harpers Ferry, W. Va. 'Muriel V. Self."
Close up view of John Brown's Fort at Harpers Ferry, W. Va.
'The present site of John Brown's Fort as it now stands in a field overlooking the Shenandoah River in Va., a few miles from where it originally stood at Harpers Ferry.  It was placed here at the suggestion of Kate Field of Washington, after it had been exhibited at the Worlds Fair in Chicago.'  See West Virginia Collection Pamphlet 7514 for more information.
'A postcard view of the Fire Engine House used as fort by John Brown, Harpers Ferry; No objection to reproducing or publishing this picture provided credit line 'Photo by U.S. Army Signal Corps' appears on the photograph or page. Permission must be obtained from the War Department if it is desired for use in commerical advertising.'
Fort building stands in a field where two children are playing in the foreground. Inscription with the image, 'The present site of John Brown's Fort as it now stands in a field overlooking the Shenandoah River, in [West] Virginia, a few miles from where it originally stood at Harper's Ferry.  It was placed here at the request of Kate Field, of Washington after it was exhibited at the World's Fair in Chicago.'
John Brown's Fort was used to store fertilizer in 1909.
'In 1859 John Brown, Kansas Abolitionist, and a part of followers seized this little engine house which was at the time serving as a government arsenal at Harpers Ferry, W. Va.  The fort was dismantled in 1892 and shipped to the Columbian Exposition at Chicago, Ill.  It was later returned to Harpers Ferry, where it is now being used as a museum on the campus of Storer College. This picture is an opposite side view of John Brown's Fort.'  After this description was written and Storer College closed, the fort was moved back to the lower town near its original site.
'In 1859 John Brown, Kansas Abolitionist, and a part of followers seized this little engine house which was at the time serving as a government arsenal at Harpers Ferry, W. Va.  The fort was dismanteled in 1892 and shipped to the Columbian Exposition at Chicago, Ill.  It was laterreturned to Harpers Ferry, where it is now being used as a museum on the compus of Storer College. This picture is an opposite side view of John Brown's Fort.' 'From the West Virginia Industrial and Publicity Commission, State Capitol, Charleston 5, W. Va.'
Hotel Conner is on the left side of the picture.   Site of John Brown's Fort is on the right.
'That this nation might have a new birth of freedom. That slavery should be removed forever from American soil. John Brown and his 21 men gave their lives. To commemorate their heroism, this tablet is placed on this building. Which has since been known as John Brown's Fort by the Alumni of Storer College 1918.'
John Brown's fort at far left.
Pictured during the great snow of March 7, 8, 9, 1941.
Top row from left to right: Lincoln Hall and John Brown's Fort, Curtis Freewill Baptist Church, and Myrtle Hall. In the center is Anthony Memorial Hall. Bottom row left is Industrial Building and bottom row right is the Presidents House.
John Brown's Fort in the background.
John Brown's Fort Museum, Women's Lincoln Hall, and Anthony Memorial Hall.
View of Harper's Ferry showing the old engine house called John Brown's Fort
Photograph of the fort's exterior. It was built in 1848 as a guard and fire engine house for the federal Harpers Ferry Armory in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, then a part of Virginia. Storer College was a historically black college. The fort was on the campus of Storer College from 1909 to 1968.
A view of John Brown's Fort in Harper's Ferry, W. Va.