Search Constraints

You searched for: Geographic Names Clarksburg (W. Va.) Remove constraint Geographic Names: Clarksburg (W. Va.) Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Post card sent on June 30, 1915.
View from North View looking at West Fork River and Route 19.
Colored postcard photograph of an elevated view of Clarksburg, West Virginia. See back of the original image for correspondence.
This is a colored postcard photograph of Clarksburg, West Virginia. See back of the original image for correspondence.
Colored postcard photograph. See back of the original image for correspondence.
Looking over the city from the hill top.
The church was organized in 1848. It was for many years called First Baptist Church of Clarksburg and services were held in the courthouse until a church building was dedicated in 1853.
The church was organized in 1821 and the current building was constructed in 1853.
Color postcard showing Judge Nathan Goff, Jr.'s residence in Clarksburg, W. Va.
A young boy stands stiffly while looking into the camera.
Description on reverse reads "Mrs Mary M Lightner. No R.F.D. No. 9.  Black eyes. Dark brown hair. fair and [illegible]. [illegible] waist."
Female member of the Lightner family with elaborately curled hair, possibly a wig.
Two banners are visible promoting Virgil L. Highland as Republican Candidate for United States Senator.
The Grand Army of the Republic, or G.A.R., was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army, Union Navy, Marines and the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service who served in the American Civil War for the Northern/Federal forces. Its peak membership, at more than 490,000, was in 1890, a high point of various Civil War commemorative and monument dedication ceremonies. It was succeeded by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, composed of male descendants of Union Army and Union Navy veterans.The G.A.R. was organized into "departments" at the state level and "posts" at the community level. This old artillery gun monument was dedicated by the G.A.R. Department of West Virginia, Custer Post No. 8.The plaque beneath the gun reads, "This gun was cast at Sevilla Spain, May 9th 1795, is 12 ft. in length, Caliber 6 3/8 inches weighs 6283 lbs. It was captured from the Spanish by Admiral Dewey, at Cavite Arsenal, near Manila, P.I. [Philippines] in May 1898, brought to N. Y. Navy Yard in the U. S., S. Buffalo [South Buffalo, New York]. Loaned by the Navy Department to Custer Post No. 8 G.A.R. was Mounted on Platform June 23rd, 1899. On July 4th, 1899, the Gun was unveiled by members of Custer Post with suitable ceremonies."
Members of the community gather for a picnic in Clarksburg, W. Va.
Members of the community gather for a picnic in Clarksburg, W. Va.
Front left to right: John W. Smith (Member of committee), James W. Carskadon (President), Nat T. Frame (Director of Extension), J. Blaine McLaughlin (Secretary).Back left to right: Dale Curry (Member of Committee), Izetta Jewell Brown (Member of Committee), Albert Leatherman (Member of Committee)."In front of the warehouse in Clarksburg where space had just been secured for the West Virginia Farm Bureau Wool Pool of 80,000 lbs. in 1922."
Assistant Secretary of War Louis Johnson (center, bareheaded) attends the opening of an airline at the Harrison County Airport, now known as the Benedum Airport.
People gather for an opening ceremony of an airline at Harrison County Airport, now called Benedum Airport.
People gather around an aircraft for a ceremony for the opening of an airline at Harrison County Airport, now called Benedum Airport.
A woman sits reading a book and a man plays a fiddle cradled in the crook of his arm.
Caption reads: "US 19 looking North from intersection with US 50, West Pike Street at Adamston Underpass. "