Search Constraints

You searched for: Geographic Names Charleston (W. Va.) Remove constraint Geographic Names: Charleston (W. Va.)
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

"Members of the Charleston Salvation Army (right) distribute food to the needy, made available under the U.S. Department of Agriculture's increased food distribution plan. Canned pork and gravy, dried beans, dried eggs, and peanut butter have been added to the other abundant foods being distributed in areas where needs are pressing, particularly in areas of high unemployment." USDA office of information photograph.
"Katie Doonan shown at her studio where she announced the dates that abundant agricultural commodities would be distributed to the needy in the Charleston area. The stepped-up distribution of food was caused by President Kennedy's Executive Order Number 1, which added protein foods to the list of commodities being distributed." United States Department of Agriculture Office of Information.
A view of the Governor's mansion showing the capitol building in the background.
The photo shows a room in the Capitol Building where artifacts of import in West Virginia's history are stored.
An artist's rendering of the future Capitol Building by Chesley Bonestell, most well known for his space paintings. Bonestell worked off of architect Cass Gilbert's drawings, with construction of the building only starting the following year. Note the "placeholder" inscription around the base of the dome.
A print of architectural artist Hugh Ferriss's rendering of Cass Gilbert's design for a new capitol building for West Virginia. The print was produced by the well known architectural photograph company, the Wurts Brothers of New York.
This structure was the original Baptist Temple in Charleston on Morris Avenue. It was later replaced.
Davis Child's Transitory Shelter, established in 1900, was funded by Senator Henry G. Davis and run by the Children's Home Society of West Virginia. It was located on Washington Street between Brooks and Boards Streets in Charleston, W. Va.