Search Constraints

You searched for: Date ca. 1900-1920 Remove constraint Date: ca. 1900-1920 Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

The town of Horton, W. Va.
Scene on Collinsville grounds shows early residents.
First built 1804.
Site Now Occupied by Main Street Business Block and Theatre.
The Homewood Pottery Company changed its name to Bowers Pottery.
Pottery workers of Bowers Pottery at their work stations.  The Bowers Pottery is formerly Homewood Pottery Company.
Pottery workers at their work station along with products on drying rack.  The Bowers Pottery is formerly Homewood Pottery Company.
The Bowers Pottery is formerly Homewood Pottery Company.
The Bowers Pottery is formerly Homewood Pottery Company.
Group portrait of workers at the Bowers Pottery.  (The Bowers Pottery is formerly Homewood Pottery Company.)
Three men stand in front of Tetrick General Store of Emory Tetrick, the store owner, Emory is the center figure.
'Pres. C. & O. R.R.'
The women are identified as Bessie, Martha, Chassie and Rita. They are family members of the Forbes, Lewis, and Grose (or Groves) families.
Grose is pictured with a group of unidentified school children.
Minnie Sparks, Osie Grose, Hulda Todd, Naomi Grose, and Willie Fritz Waler are pictured.
A group of men and women balance on large logs. Behind them are stacks of lumber. In the center of the photograph is saw mill, with a pipe that leads out into the forest and has created a mountain of sawdust.
A group of boys play football while their classmates watch from behind. The school was a one room school located on the Post family farm in Harrison County, W. Va.
A man in the center of the photograph stands beside a pile of logs, resting his ax against it. Another man on the right of the photograph props his leg on top of a log. The area that surrounds them is covered by logs--the ground is barely visible and the trees that remain standing are in the background.
Three men each stand on their cart of logs which are being pulled by horses on wooden rail tracks.
A group of mean are scattered across the rail tracks. On the left is a train engine. On the right appears to be a long rail cart designed to transport logs.
Lumbermen sit on top of a tall, wooden structure. In the background are piles of lumber.
View of the snow-covered street which is filled with horse-drawn carriages. A group of men stand beneath an awning on the right.
Two unidentified men pose beside the stone they are cutting large blocks out of. A long, chiseling tool rests against the rock.
A young boy is pictured holding four opossums.
An unidentified man sits in front of a hanging quilt. The ribbon fastened to his jacket collar indicates he is the 153rd Good Hope Council member for the Junior Order of the United American Mechanics, an American fraternal order. It began as a youth affiliation of the Order of United American Mechanics, but seceded to become its own organization and eventually absorbed its parent order. Originally, it was an Anti-Catholic, Nativist group, but eventually abandoned this position and became a general fraternal benefit society open to people regardless of creed, race or sex.
Nine unidentified individuals pose in costume. Three of them sit on horses. Five of them  stand on a carriage drawn by those horses, two of which wear large pots against their bellies. The man in the forefront, dressed in two, vertical striped colors, holds what appears to be a jousting rod.
The Grand Army of the Republic, or G.A.R., was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army, Union Navy, Marines and the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service who served in the American Civil War for the Northern/Federal forces. Its peak membership, at more than 490,000, was in 1890, a high point of various Civil War commemorative and monument dedication ceremonies. It was succeeded by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, composed of male descendants of Union Army and Union Navy veterans.The G.A.R. was organized into "departments" at the state level and "posts" at the community level. This old artillery gun monument was dedicated by the G.A.R. Department of West Virginia, Custer Post No. 8.The plaque beneath the gun reads, "This gun was cast at Sevilla Spain, May 9th 1795, is 12 ft. in length, Caliber 6 3/8 inches weighs 6283 lbs. It was captured from the Spanish by Admiral Dewey, at Cavite Arsenal, near Manila, P.I. [Philippines] in May 1898, brought to N. Y. Navy Yard in the U. S., S. Buffalo [South Buffalo, New York]. Loaned by the Navy Department to Custer Post No. 8 G.A.R. was Mounted on Platform June 23rd, 1899. On July 4th, 1899, the Gun was unveiled by members of Custer Post with suitable ceremonies."
A young, unidentified girl and her cat pose on a home porch.
A man sits while a barber combs and styles his hair.
Two young men pose in their team uniforms. The player to the right is holding a baseball bat.
Three unidentified coal miners are pictured inside a mine with shovels and an oil lamp.
A young man prepares to strike the wooden froe, which is lodged into the log, with a maul.
A man stands on top of a giant heap of hay, while another lifts hay onto the heap. A third man sits at behind the mower, holding the reigns of the horses that are pulling the large mowing machine across the field.