Search Constraints

You searched for: Date ca. 1900 Remove constraint Date: ca. 1900 Medium print Remove constraint Medium: print
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Caption reads: "Addie (Ada) R(osalie) Ireland. WVU Certificate in Art 1900."
Davis Child's Transitory Shelter, established in 1900, was funded by Senator Henry G. Davis and run by the Children's Home Society of West Virginia. It was located on Washington Street between Brooks and Boards Streets in Charleston, W. Va.
A view of the old Anderson home, located on University Avenue in Star City.
A view of Anderson's barn with one man, several chickens, and two mules in front. Text on back reads, "Now the site of St. Mary's Catholic Church. A bum stayed in this barn one night and burned it down, killing all thirteen horses."
A large group of young male glass workers pose outside of the Seneca Glass Factory in Morgantown.
A class of the Second Ward School with their teachers.
People climb on the wreckage of the Morgantown and Kingwood Railroad repair shops in Sabraton after a fire.
A view of the smoldering ruins of the Morgantown and Kingwood Railroad repair shops in Sabraton.
Men stand beside the bar, holding drinks.
Lawrence Perry, husband of Louise Edith Stephens, is pictured with associates outside of the train depot. Louise Edith is the daughter of Stacy Stephens, who was the son of Thomas Stephens.
"South Penn (Oil) Pump Station on Minor (Jacob) Farm a mile west of Blacksville.  Circa 1900. Bill Stephens son of Minor Stephens & Lillie (Minor) Stephens was the first pump man."
Mrs. Ro. Murrell and friend pictured at scenic overlook near Hinton in Summers County, W. Va.
Flanagan home at 5th and Summers Street in Hinton, W. Va. Small girl on steps is unidentified.
Mrs. Ro. Murrell and another woman walk down a dirt road.
Rev. Asa Harman (b. 1834-d. 1902) was the first elected pastor of Harman Church of the Brethren in 1859.  The town of Harman is also named after him.  The Harman Church separated from a larger territory of congregations in 1897 and the church was named after the reverend.
This older building that housed the church burned in 1913 and was replaced with a new building.  The date the church was organized is unknown, but likely between 1860 and 1870.  A frame church was built in 1890 but destroyed by fire in 1913.  The name then changed to St. Luke Christian Church and a new building was erected in 1918.
Pleasant Creek Methodist Church was organized in 1800 when Mr. land was donated land for the building.  The church was later rebuilt several times until the current structure was completed in 1903
The Blackwater Boom and Lumber Company run until 1907, when the Babcock Lumber and Boom Company from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania bought the mill.This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker County during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.
This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker County during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.In the background, the stack belongs to the First Electric Plant in central W. Va. It was heated by coal boilers.  The view shows the Thompson Lumber mill, later the Blackwater and Boom Lumber Company.
This image is part of the Thompson Family of Canaan Valley Collection. The Thompson family played a large role in the timber industry of Tucker Country during the 1800s, and later prospered in the region as farmers, business owners, and prominent members of the Canaan Valley community.
Students and faculty pose outside of the building for a group portrait. Subjects unidentified.
A group of students and faculty are pictured outside of the school building located in Summers County.
Portraits of the first-ever students and faculty of the high school. Subjects unidentified.
Mrs. Robert Murrell, pictured third from right, poses with members of the Faulkner family. A home are pictured in the background.
Robert Murrell pictured third from the right. Other subjects are unidentified.
Robert Murrell pictured third from left beside his wife. Other Murrell family members unidentified.
Robert Murrell and family are pictured together in an unknown location within the city of Hinton.
Murrell and her two dogs are pictured at the Bluestone River Canyon near Hinton, W. Va.
Bob Murrell busies himself by placing sticks into the water while his wife, seated on the right, watches.
Murrell, right, holds the hand of an unidentified associate, perhaps helping her over the rocks.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Murrell, accompanied with an unidentified associate, pose beside the waterfall on a bed of rocks.
Bob Murrell, his wife and dogs are pictured beside a waterfall in an unknown location within Summers County.
Murrell and his two dogs roam along the river bank.
The three are pictured balancing on top of a fallen tree.
Mrs. Robert Murrell is seated on the far right. An unidentified woman is holding Mildred Murrell. Young Bob Murrell is pictured sitting in the yard. The house is located on the corner of Summers Street and 5th Avenue.
The Murrells are pictured somewhere in Summers County on a hammock resting between trees. In the background, multiple horse-drawn carriages are pictured.
A portrait of the Murrells.
Murrell, right, and an unidentified female pose in the rural scene.
Mrs. Murrell, left, is pictured with an unidentified man and unidentified woman beside the track.
Mrs. Murrell, right, walks through tall grass and is accompanied by an unidentified female.
In the background, the C. & O. Commissary is pictured. The home is located on the corner of 5th Avenue and Summers Street.
Mrs. Murrell sits inside the carriage holding the horse's reigns.
Child of Robert Murrell stands beside the Murrell dog, "Sport", on the house steps. The home is located on the corner of 5th Avenue and Summers Street.
Murrell holds a rifle next to his pets outside of the Flanagan-Murrell home located on the corner of 5th Avenue and Summers Street.
The two children play outside with yard tools. The yard is attached to the John Flanagan and R.O. Murrell home located on the corner of 5th Avenue and Summers Street.
The two children play outside with stick horses. The yard is attached to the John Flanagan and R.O. Murrell home located on the corner of 5th Avenue and Summers Street.
The home is located on the corner of 5th Avenue and Summers Street. The child of R. O. Murrell is pictured outside of the home and with a cat.
Looking West on Temple St.  Episcopal church to the right, Independent Herald Office to the left along with Fair.
A group of men gather outside a tent where a man supposedly eats live snakes. View looking down from Temple Street toward Summers Street.
A man makes his way down the snowy street with his horse-drawn wagon.
William Plumley pictured with female associates outside of the store entrance. The building later housed Hinton Furniture, owned by Ray Walker.
A group of men sit on the deck of what was the first store to be built in Hinton. Located in the Avis section of the cit, the building is now where the Sears Rosebuck parking lot is today.
E. C. Grimmett with wife Eliza and son Virgil.
Charlton pictured standing in the middle of the field.
Charlton is a Civil War veteran who fought on the side of the Confederacy. He was wounded at the Battle of Cold Harbor, Va. in 1864. He later went on to become the first school teacher in Madam's Creek, a town near Hinton, W. Va.Charlton first married Nancy Parker. Together, Parker and Charlton had a daughter, Mary Jane Charlton. Mary Jane would later marry Silas Hinton.
Portrait of John Conrad Ball's brother and Joseph Pemberton Ball's uncle. Thomas was born February 7, 1840 and died July 31, 1905. He was enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1862.
Pictured is the mother of Sarah Pauline Alley and great-grandmother to Mary E. Trail.
Williams is the daughter of Lacy and Jesse Campbell.
View of the mill yard which is located next to a C. & O. railroad station.
Photograph originally used as a post card. View of the snow covered town.
Four unidentified individuals pose on top of the cart which is carrying what appears to be sticks and bark.
An unidentified man is pictured outside the store entrance located on the corner of Front Street and Third Avenue.
The group is pictured outside of the Flanagan-Murrell home located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Summers Street. In the background is the Faulkner home.
Mrs. R. . Murrell, right, and associates at Flanagan house located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Summers Street.
A group of unidentified men sit on top of a horse-drawn wagon outside of the building.
A group of unidentified individuals pose on the street together.
A group of unidentified men stand outside a church building.
A group of members belonging to an unidentified church pose on its grounds.
Intersection on the corner of Third Avenue and Temple Street.
Horse connected to a carriage idles in the street. Ascension Episcopal Church pictured to the right of the photo, where Big 4 Building stands today (October 18, 1984).
Photograph of a postcard the showed the church building and pastor, J. P. Campbell.
Buildings belonging to O. T. Honaker Lumber Yard pictured with part of the town.
Men and cattle scatter the yard located next to the Sandstone Depot.
Family members pictured outside the home and along the porch. Subject unidentified.
View of the largest cataract on New River.
A group of women sit inside a canoe while the boys swim beside them. Subjects unidentified.
View looking a the entrance of the home. Four unidentified persons sit along the porch.
A group of unidentified persons sit out on the boardinghouse's yard. Some play instruments, others lounge on the hammock, and the man to the far right reads.
An unidentified woman and her children enjoy the fields beside the boarding house.
Ashby Rhodes pictured on the porch outside the building.
Pictured from left to right is Nellie Carney, Edith Carney, Mrs. Carrie Bennett, Minnie McCoy, Elliot Bennett, and Miss Thompson. The cottage is located near Pence Springs, W. Va.Published by Nonpareil Ptg. & Pub. Co.
House pictured in the background. In the foreground is "Charlton's Mill Race", according to the description on the back of the photo.
Family members of James H. Miller are pictured on the sidewalk in front of a home.
The couple, originally from Sandstone, W. Va., are pictured outside a home in Meadow Creek surrounded by a flock of chickens, perhaps suggesting they're on a farm.
The legendary C. & O. engineer Richardson pictured with his wife.
Workers pictured lined across the top of the bridge. Subjects unidentified.
Wooden pears surround the bridge while groups of workers stand on top and observe.
James and his wife Mary Eliza Walthall pictured together.
Unidentified men gather in their baseball uniforms for a team photo.
A group of unidentified men pose for a group photo. Some of the men hold hammers. Most of them are dressed in overalls.
Two unidentified men stand beside the small brick building.
R. O. Murrell pictured kneeling and his wife pictured on the right. A man on the left is wearing a dress. Other subjects unidentified.
Workers scatter across the construction site. Cranes helps lift supplies onto the bridge. A train is pictured on top of the bridge, perhaps bringing in additional supplies.