Search Constraints

You searched for: Date ca. 1890-1900 Remove constraint Date: ca. 1890-1900 Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

'Burning off the gas from an oil well in Ritchie County.  This is a wood derrick. The flaming torches are to remove the gas out of the oil; a waste that isn't occurring today; it is too precious.'
Christmas in the Robinson Home on West Main Street in Grafton, W. Va.  Fannie E. and W.R. Loar, Madue, Grace, and Leslie gathered around the Christmas tree.
'The Limestone German Band, Posing at the Old Wetzel County Court House before 1900.  John Henry Gorby second from left with clarinet, Charles Thomas Gorby and George Ira Gorby with baritones in front of John Kaufman in light suit.  Other identified persons: John Kaufman in light suit in back.  Ed Frei seated right on ground.  'Limestone' is the ridge top at the head of Doolin Run about five miles east of New Martinsville.  Schools and churches attended by Doolin residents were located on 'Limestone' or the adjacent American Ridge.  Charles T. Gorby taught in the Limestone School.  William Gorby, grandfather of the Gorby brothers, was among the original members of the Limestone Church.  This Wetzel County Courthouse in this photograph faced south.  The present one built in 1900 is located on the same lots, but faces east and is made of stone. Photo from the collection of Pearl Frei.'
'Looking West on Third Street.'  Men in uniform walking in formation on Third Street.
From the Centennial Edition of Dominion News.
View of monuments and headstones at the Confederate Cemetery in Jefferson County. The cemetery was established in 1867.
View from the west of the town and the bridge which spans the Monongahela River.
Dunlevie is named for Ernest V. Dunlevie, who started the operation in 1905.  He sold out in 1906.  The mill operated under several names until 1919-1920.  The name of the town was changed to Thornwood in 1911/
People seen walking down a hill in front of a fire caused by a gas tank explosion on South Park Hill.
View of Morgantown looking over wintery fields.
'Destroyed by State Road Commission.'
Men work with horses to harvest a field.
View of two girls standing on the steps of the Cabell House located on Main Street in White Sulphur Springs. 'The house was once used as a rooming house and small hotel. It was torn down in the late 1960s. Datsun automobile sales lot now on the site.'
'Back row, left: W.E. Rumsey, Theodore Watson, Charles Howard?, Front row, left: A.D. Hopkins, Woollery ?, B.H. Hite, Lee Cleveland Corbett.'
Exterior of Victor Elevator and Mills Company, Morgantown.
Picture was taken in Napier.
A view of Parkersburg, West Virginia and Belpre, Ohio in the 1890s.
Olie, second from left, stands behind a counter sharpening a knife at Matoaka. An African American man stands to his right, and to his left are two other young men who also work at the store.
From left to right: 'Don, Elsie, Ernest, and Phoebe Meadows Byrd.'
A horse-drawn carriage is parked in front of the Wallace House Stables, 'facing the Junior High site on Spruce Street; Wiles Block, Stable End.'
View of railroad bridge in Taylor County.  Three men on cart on railroad tracks.
View of railroad bridge in Taylor County.
From left to right: Bill Mutsby, Jay Bayne, Jim Conaway, Harriet Cain Conaway, Mrs. Bayne, and Bell Maulsby, two unknown.
The picture shows a group of female students in front of a ivy covered building with a front arched entrance.
'View looking across Spruce Street down Walnut Street to High Street, on 'wool day' when farmers were bringing their wool to town to sell. Note shipping stores across Walnut Street and town scale next to present location of Junior High School. Property of Jas. R. Moreland.'
From left to right, top row: Gypsy Fleming Ward, Ida Fleming Miller, Virginia Fleming and Bottom row: Brooks Fleming, Jr. at Oak Hall, A. B. Fleming's summer home in Oakland Maryland.
Pictured are: Burt C. Alphant; Ed C. Gerwig, Jr.; Geo H. Atkinson, Jr.
'm. 1/18/1894 to Charles Edwin Ward.'
Harold MacKrille Ward (1883-), son of Charles and Margaret MacKrille Ward.
Charles Edwin Ward (9/5/1867-8/11/1941).
John Norris is a son of Thomas and Minnie Carr Norris.
Hughes (b.1860-d.1926), left, sits in front of his wife, Ida F. Hughes (b.1870-d.1951). Kidwell (b.2/7/1871-5/20/1896), right, sits in front of his wife Sarah Alice (b.4/22/1876-d.11/16/1946). Kidwell worked for both the Babcock Lumber Company and the Blackwater Coal Company.