Search Constraints

You searched for: Date 1951 Remove constraint Date: 1951 Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Candid portrait of W.T. Law and his Jersey cow which won the Grand Champion over all Jerseys' at the West Virginia State Dairy Show, Jacksons Mill, 1951. The cows name is Wonderful Bindle Joy. Picture taken in Harrison County.
Woman spraying a garden for insect control in Kanawha County.
Man and turkeys, part of the Homemaker Turkey Project in Kanawha County. Money made from this project was used to purchase a new kitchen sink.
Display of Consolidation Coal Company shows the different mining techniques throughout the century and beyond.
Three men inspecting lanterns next to a W. Va. State College Mining Extension Service Mobile Class car.
'Morgantown - Westover (Methodist ?) Church.'
Two men stand in the doorway of the Titus Building.  One is holding a sign that reads 'Prudential Hiding Behind Compensation Law Written By New York State in 1906.'
Highway signs to the airport, Cheat River, Point Marion, Uniontown, Fairmont, Waynesburg, and Grafton at the Intersection of Spruce St. and Willey St., Morgantown, W. Va.
'Church is located on state Route 73 between Morgantown and Fairmont.'
Three African-American women participate in a Make Your Own Mix demonstration.
View of Elizabeth Moore Hall in West Virginia is shown on the cover of West Virginia University Alumni Magazine, Volume 16, Number 3, Winter 1951.
'J. D. Ferguson, president and editor of The Milwaukee Journal; Director P.I. Reed of The West Virginia University School of Journalism; Elmer G. Trotzig, head of the Department of Journalism, University of South Dakota, Vermillion. Prof. Trotzig as president of the American Society of Journalism and School Administrators presents to Mr. Ferguson for The Milwaukee Journal the sixth annual citation of ASJSA which recognized the newspaper for its honesty, courage, and persistence in reporting of world events. Director Reed, Who looks on, was chairman of the ASJSA Committee on Awards. The presentation took place August 28, 1951, at the Lincoln Avenue resident hall of the University of Illinois, Urbana, as part of the program of the Association for Education in Journalism.'
'Side view of new feeding barn constructed by Abner Stout this past year. Cattle in the foreground are 4-H Baby Beeves purchased at Jackson's Mill, 1951. Publicity and Advertising Dept. Monongahela Power Company, Fairmont W.Va.'
'Carcasses of the 4-H Baby Beeves from the 1951 sale which were purchased by Young and Stout, Clarksburg. Publicity and Advertising Dept. Monongahela Power Company, Fairmont, W. Va.'
'The 1951 Runner-up C.I.A.A. Tournament Champions.'
'Tommy Nay, Jane Lew, R-1, and his Grand Champion Guernsey heifer at the State 4-H Dairy Show, held at Jackson's Mill.'  Harrison County 4-H.
Martha Ann Law and her Grand Champion 4-H Jersey heifer at the State 4-H Dairy Show, held at Jackson's Mill. Harrison County 4-H.
Group Portrait of African American 4-H Members.
First Place Display of 'Keys to Better Living' at the State Fair.
'Philip M. Kaiser, Assistant Secretary of Labor, addresses the 1951 Morgantown Labor Day Celebration.  George A. Crago, third from left, was master of ceremonies for the affair.  Labor and government representatives shown on the speakers stand are, left to right, Richard Kennel, reception committee, commissioner of Labor 1957-.  William Quinn, AFL organizer; Crago, William Radford, AFL labor union; William Hynes, UMW District 4 president, Kaiser, Senator M.M. Neely, State Attorney General William Marland, Eugene A. Carter, state federation of labor AFL president and T. C. Dethloff, AFL organizer.  Senator Harley M. Kilgore was seated directly behind the speaker and is not shown in the picture.
President Carter on left and Secretary Andrews on right.
'Ed. Reed, Huntington Bldg. Trades B. A. and 1953 President SFL; Bill Kirk; Bill Worley, Charleston Pipefitters B. A.'
Secretary Andrews (left), Pritchard Dillon--President Huntington CLU (center) and President Carter (right) at Huntington Convention in 1951.
"Kanawha County--Authorized, 1788 and organized, 1789, from Montgomery and Greenbrier.  Named for Kanawha River bearing name of Indian tribe.  Salt making brought early settlers into this valley and from it grew vast modern chemical plants."
"Clay County--formed in 1858 from Braxton and Nicholas.  Named for the great Kentuckian, Henry Clay, who was so popular in western Virginia that in 1820 a monument was erected to him for his part in bringing the National Road to Wheeling.  A man on left is George Eddy."
"Formed in 1824 from Cabell, Kanawha, Giles and Tazewell.  Named for Logan, the famous chief of the Mingo Indians, whose "Lament" is most noted example of Indian eloquence.  Logan County ranks second in State coal production."
"During the Indian raids in 1779 upon the settlements on Dunkard Creek, savages attacked the cabin of John Bozarth.  Armed only with an axe, in a brief hand-to-hand flight, Mrs. Bozarth killed three of the red men."
"Beauty spot six miles north on the boundary of Taylor and Marion counties where Tygarts Valley River dashes through a mile-long gorge in series of lovely falls and rapids.  Included in 1000-acre grant to Thomas Parkeson in 1773."
"This marks the site of the home of Richard Tennant, pioneer settler and Revolutionary War soldier, and Elizabeth Haught, his wife, and their children reared in this section."
"Formed, 1776, from District of West Augusta.  All or parts of 21 other counties, including three in Pennsylvania, were carved from it.  Named for the Monongahela River, bearing an Indian name, which means the "River of Caving Banks."
"Fairmont--Home of Francis H. Pierpont, whose services in the organization of this State are commissioned by his statue in  Statuary Hall, Washington.  He was governor under the Restored Government of the State of Virginia, 1861-1868."
"Old Iron Works--Iron furnaces were busy in Monongalia County at early date.  At Rock Forge, Samuel Hanway started work, 1798, and on Cheat River, Samuel Jackson built a furnace.  The latter plant, under the Ellicotts, worked 1200 men."
The sign is on U.S. Route 119.
Located on Grumbein Island near Commencement Hall in 1951.