Search Constraints

You searched for: Date 1950 Remove constraint Date: 1950 Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Picture of the Y.M.W. luncheon which took place at the Memorial Building in Kimball, McDowell County, Monday, March 27th, 1950 at 1 o'clock. The luncheon was free and the purpose of the meeting was to discuss plans for organizing Older Youth Groups. The age limits for YMW club membership was approximately 18 to 30. Married and unmarried young people are eligible. In every community there was a need for a program to bridge the gap between organized junior programs and the homemakers program and to include both men and women.
Exterior view of the tobacco barn constructed by Mr. A. C. Curry in Lincoln County. 'Narrow Ventilation doors which were opened in the front of the barn for this picture are located on all four sides of the barn. The barn is 50 feet wide, 60 feet long and 41 feet to the roof at the center of the barn.'
A close-up view of a rectifier at the Williams River Mine in Webster County, W. Va.  Gauley Mountain Coal Company, Ansted, W. Va.
A man is shoveling snow on the corner of Cleveland and Locust Avenue in Fairmont, West Virginia during the big snow storm of 1950.
The view from Madison Street looking toward Jefferson Street in Fairmont, West Virginia during the big snow storm in 1950.
Two men are shoveling snow in Fairmont, West Virginia after the big snow storm of 1950.
Cars are parked along Monroe Street in Fairmont, West Virginia during the big snow storm of 1950.
People are walking on Monroe and Adams Streets in Fairmont, West Virginia during the big snow storm of 1950.
'Taken by Roy T. Emerson 1950 for Trinity Women's Auxiliary Yaar Book' Letter enclosed reads: ' July 1, 1959   To Whom it May Concern: Enclosed please find snapshot of Trinity Episcopal Church taken in 1950. This picture was used on  yearbook of Trinity Women's Auxiliary. In the year 1950. Trintiy was sold to a Church group, dismantled and moved board by board to their Church property near B--? W. Va. This over the forth or fifth move for this Church building. Trinity Church was purchased by first Vestry from the Baptist Church, before this time the Episcopal services were being read in old Rogers' home. The church stood at top of High Street before street was paved. With a great deal of effort it was finally moved to spot where New Farmers and Merchants Bank is now going up; however during move a rain storm hit and Church got bogged down in mud and stood in the middle of High Street for several weeks before ground was solid enough to prepare another attmept. The church was moved later, as shown in Post picture to spot next to Masonic temple and the place where Trinity Parking lot is now. This is the tale as told to me by Brad Laidley for most accurate account contact him. Sincerely, Monica Emerson, New Timer?'
'Earl Whisner-flag, Ted Hilling-banner, James (Dobie) Poole (deceased), Odell Henry-Umbrella'.
Group portrait of homeroom 104 from the 1950 Morgantown High School yearbook.
Group portrait of Homeroom 311 Class (left to right)Griffin, Kinnan, Foisset, Kennedy, Huggins, Nixon, Huggins, Geiler, Jack, Meadows. ROW--2: Howell, Lemley, Himes, Graham, Ladd, Keaton, Norberg, Mrs. Deeds. ROW--3: Kramer, Lazzelle, McBee, Hinebaugh, McVey, Netz, Fulk, Gregary, Juzinar. ROW--4: Fitchett, Jackson, Holmes, Klein, McClain, Graham, Harner, Goudemond, Lovering
An scenic view of Franklin in Pendleton County.
'ROTC Technical Training -- Radio relay and carrier communications is part of specialized training Signal Corps Reserve Officers Training Corps cadets receive in six weeks summer encampment at Fort Monmouth, N.J. The group operating AN/TRC equipment under the instruction of Sgt. Adrian Ulvog of Michigan State are, left to right, Kenneth Stoviak of Coraopolis, Robert Larimer, Pittsburgh, Orion Hoch, Canonsburg, Richard Lyman, Pittsburgh and Jack Eyring of Uniontown. All except Eyring, who is a student at West Virginia University, are undergraduates of Carnegie Tech.'
'West Virginia U. cadets -- Undergraduates of West Virginia University, attending Signal Corps' ROTC encampment at Fort Monmouth, N.J., assemble with college's vice president C.T. Neff, Jr., during his three-day visit of camp activities. Left to Right (kneeling): William Long, John Heckert, Albert Lewis, James Heatherly, Richer Csamer, and John Leachman.  Standing: Kenneth Skidmore, Davide McWhorter, Gerald Swecker, William Lodge, Robert Kay, Arthur Sites, Vice President C. T. Neff, Jr., Robert Borke, Lt. Col. B. Cooper, James McDonald, Elmer Clear, Robert Calligan, and Donald Richardson.'
'Good Teeth' King and Queen, Dean Stump and Janet Stump, Russett 4-H Club.
4-H Club members piecing the blocks.
She won first prize at Costume Ball for Allied Artists in W. Va..
A photograph of Governor Patteson (seated) signing a piece of paper, with Eugene Carter (left), President of the West Virginia Federation of Labor, and another man standing behind him.
From left to right 1) Unknown 2) Harold Stassen 3) Unknown 4) President Irvin Stewart.
"Early Oil Wells--To the south, birthplace of West Virginia's oil industry.  On Hughes River oil was found in gravel beds in 1810.  As "bank oil," a medicine,  Bushrod Creel sold 100 barrels of it per year in 1836.  Volcano was one of first boom oil towns."
"Tollgate--The Northwestern Turnpike, a favorite project of George Washington, opened in 1838.  Such highways were called "turnpikes" from the gates at which tolls were collected.  This town is named for the toll gate which stood here."
The Place of Fashion is located on Rt. 50; the fire department is to the left.  The building was once Town Hall and also housed Fitzhugh building and Knights of Pythias.
Cairo Illinois or Mound City, Illinois or Kentucky.  The marker reads: The Prince of the French Explorers--Commissioned by Louis XIV of France the Sieur Robert De La Salle, sweeping down the Mississippi with his Flotilla of canoes stopped in 1882 at this place.  In his quest for the mouth of the Mississippi and an outlet for the French fur trade.  This river called Ohio by the Iroquois and Quabache (Wabash) by the Algonquins was proclaimed by La Salle on April 9, 1882 to be the Northern watershed of the New Province of Louisiana of the French Colonial Empire.
A great snow fall during the week of Thanksgiving in 1950, Clarksburg, W. Va.
Three men shoveling snow in front of Wayne Feeds on the corner of School Avenue and Hewes Street near Kaiser Fraser Auto shop in Clarksburg.
Two men stand on the sidewalk, Hewes Street behind piled snow.
A car completely blanketed with snow on Main Street near Empire Bank, a Tampa, Florida number plate peeks through.
A snow covered Hewes Avenue looking toward North East, beyond the pile of snow Central School's tower peeks through, Clarksburg, W. Va.
A view of Crosby's Jewelers' storefront during the Great Thanksgiving Snow in 1950; the store is on the south Third Street behind what would be New City in 1990.
A view of snow covered 4th street, Clarksburg, W. Va.