Confederate General William E. 'Grumble' Jones of Washington County, Va.
Jones entered the war as a Captain in the 1st Virginia Cavalry and was subsequently promoted to General, commanding the Laurel Brigade under J.E.B. Stuart. In 1863 he was transferred to the Trans-Allegheny Department, leading the successful "Jones-Imboden Cavalry Raid" through a large portion of West Virginia. Jones was killed in the Shenandoah Valley during the Battle at Piedmont, Virginia, June, 1864.
Pipe Laying Gang Posing at Camp Hope, Somewhere Between Farmington and Fairview, W. Va.
Standing left to right Pearl Roby, Noah Moore, George Burriss, Lem South, Judge tennant, Mont Tucker, Burl Tennant, Bill Taylor, (Visitor name not known). Sitting Charley Myers, Herbert Lapoe, Mr. Wilson, and Mr. Aultman.
President Taft attends West Virginia University President Thomas Hodges' Inauguration
'PRESIDENT TAFT VISITS MORGANTOWN, NOV. 1, 1911- President William Howard Taft, front row center, delivered the inaugural speech Nov. 1, 1911, when Thomas Edward Hodges became president of the University. Pictured in front row, left to right are Daniel B. Purinton, Gov. W.E. Glasscock, President Taft, Mr. Hodges and Dr. I.C. White. Pictured at left on porch are (unknown) Frank Cox, left, and Henry Green, the editor of The Post. The first two men pictured in the back row could not be (named, third unsure) is James L. Lakin, fourth Maj. Butts, hero who lost his life in sinking of Titanic; fifth, a Mr. Sigwart; sixth George C. (Rodgers-unsure); seventh, H.C. Batton; eighth and ninth, unidentified: tenth, Harry Carspecken; and others, M.L. Brown, William Williams, (unknown), Benjamin Rosenbloom, Frank B. Trotter and Dr. A.M. Buckhannon. The men in uniform were members of Gov-(the rest is unclear).
The "Emerson" was destroyed by flood waters at Ronco, Fayette County, Pennsylvania on the Monongahela River. Other information included with the photograph, "Property of W. F. Snowden, Box 191 Mt Morris, Pa."
'This is what was left of the old Orr's store, known as Orr Brothers, operated by Frank and Charlie Orr, who bought out the old Acme store. The small window was the office window, the one to the left a freight window, both were on the mezzanine floor. To the left what was the left of Comuntzis and to the right Morgantown Hardware Ruins.'