Search Constraints

You searched for: Acquisition Source Dixon, Thomas W. Remove constraint Acquisition Source: Dixon, Thomas W. Projects West Virginia History OnView Remove constraint Projects: West Virginia History OnView
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

H.C. Hogsett store located near the North end of bridge in Alderson.
C&O depot in Alderson W. Va. Men standing outside left to right: Moody Hokins, Harold Flack, Fred Patton, Floyd Thomas, Frank Bordurant, Agent T.L. Jamison, unknown, unknown, Freight Agent W.A. Hancock, J.C. Boggs (in doorway.)
'J.M. Alderson(fourth from the left) and others in front of his store. (Credit; J.M. Alderson)'
Telegraph tower located in Alderson W. Va. Operators: O.D. Massey, in door; J Abe Bright, on left roof; J.G. Houchins, on right roof.
Old Water power mill located near Alderson.
Telegrapher W.L.Knopp stands on right. Tower was known as "AD Cabin" and controled train movements between Ronceverte and Hinton. Twenty switches to Alderson sidings were operated here.
'The Alderson House Hotel was built at Alderson, West Virginia (Monroe County) in 1882 by Messrs. David J. Cogbill and John W. Alderson. It was located in close proximity to the main line iron of the Chesapeake [and] Ohio Railway. It was the most modern hotel in the state of West Virginia on the C [and] O line when it was built, having 26 rooms and two annexes, adding about 15 rooms. It was the first building in Alderson to have running water in every room, it being supplied from a 7,000 gallon tank located just above the third story of the hotel. It recieved much praise from Virginia Newspapers in the '80's who always referred to it as the best and most famous house on the C and O in West Virginia except for the White Sulphur Hotel. In addition to the regular guests and boarders, two C [and] O passenger trains each day stopped for meals in the hotel's dinning room. One express passenger train stopped for breakfast and one for supper, there being about 200 people from the steamcars taking meals in the fine dinning room. The Alderson House took over the passenger business which had from 1872 to 1882, been handled by the Monroe House Hotel, which was located across the street on the other side of the rails.  The Alderson House continued as a eating stop on the C [and] O until the middle 1890's and after that became principally a summer resort. By 1896 the town of Alderson had huge swarms of people coming in from the Virginia and Ohio cities to spend the summer in the cool, pleasant mountains. This traffic reached a height about 1900. By 1912 there were few summer boarders. During this period the Alderson House got more than its share of the trade. It continued as a popular stop until the 1930's when rail travel slowed down considerably. The hotel operated under many different managers after Mr. J.W. Alderson gave up the management in 1905 and did not close down until 1961. Compiled by Thomas W. Dixon, Official Historian to the Municipal Government of the Town of Alderson, Inc.'
'The Alderson House Hotel was built at Alderson, West Virginia (Monroe County) in 1882 by Messrs. David J. Cogbill and John W. Alderson. It was located in close proximity to the main line iron of the Chesapeake [and] Ohio Railway. It was the most modern hotel in the state of West Virginia on the C [and] O line when it was built, having 26 rooms and two annexes, adding about 15 rooms. It was the first building in Alderson to have running water in every room, it being supplied from a 7,000 gallon tank located just above the third story of the hotel. It recieved much praise from Virginia Newspapers in the '80's who always referred to it as the best and most famous house on the C [and] O in West Virginia except for the White Sulphur Hotel. In addition to the regular guests and boarders, two C [and] O passenger trains each day stopped for meals in the hotel's dinning room. One express passenger train stopped for breakfast and one for supper, there being about 200 people from the steamcars taking meals in the fine dinning room. The Alderson House took over the passenger business which had from 1872 to 1882, been handled by the Monroe House Hotel, which was located across the street on the other side of the rails. The Alderson House continued as a eating stop on the C [and] O until the middle 1890's and after that became principally a summer resort. By 1896 the town of Alderson had huge swarms of people coming in from the Virginia and Ohio cities to spend the summer in the cool, pleasant mountains. This traffic reached a height about 1900. By 1912 there were few summer boarders. During this period the Alderson House got more than its share of the trade. It continued as a popular stop until the 1930's when rail travel slowed down considerably. The hotel operated under many different managers after Mr. J.W. Alderson gave up the management in 1905 and did not close down until 1961.'
Right angled view of the Woodson - Mohler Grocery Co. wholesale Grocers building  in Alderson W. Va.
Frontal view of the Woodson - Mohler Grocery Co. Wholesale Grocers building in Alderson W. Va. with C&O boxcar situated in front of building.
Patriotic 'RIT' dye display in the front window of Dillon's Five and Dime Store Located on Riverside Dr. in Alderson, W.Va.
Old Greenbrieer Baptist Church with side cemetery.
Interior of Greenbrier Baptist Church in Alderson. Interior containing pews and floral garlands and floral arches.
Angled view of two story Brick home.
Corner photo of Alderson National Bank (first built 1910).
Officials posed in front of First National Bank.
Group portrait of male and female students posed with different types of sports equipment.
Assorted people rambling around outside Gauge and Clark General Store. 'Where FNB now is.'
Window Display in Rexall Pharmacy in National Bank building in Alderson W.Va. Building Owned by J.M. Houchins.
Front view of the Greenbier Baptist Church in Alderson, W.Va.
Corner View of the Old First National bank Building in Alderson, W.Va.
Ornate chairs, many portraits, and a garland strung over the windows decorate this room.
Male and female students from Allegheny Collegiate Institute, dressed in a variety of uniforms and outfits, hold equipment for several sports including lacrosse sticks, tennis rackets and fly-fishing poles.
Teacher E. Chase Bare is standing with female Alleghany Collegiate Institute students. Dorothy Gish is second from left from Mr. Bare.
Group portrait of men, women and children on Rally Day in front of the Old Methodist Church in Alderson, West Virginia.
Unidentified men in front of Hamlett's Electrical Shop, at the south end of bridge on Monroe Street. Thought to be Virginia Western Power Co. crew who installed their system in Alderson, West Virginia.
'C&O Train, The Huntington to Richmond Express at the breakfast shop by the Alderson House Hotel on the morning of April (?) 1885. The locomotive is No. 32, and the engineer is ? Noel.'
'Great Flood of 1917, covering North Alderson.'
A general view of Alderson from above.
View of quarry face, showing ladders, railroad, and steam shovel, Acme Limestone Co. Ft. Spring, W.Va.
Flood waters covering housing portion of North Alderson.
'View of Acme Limestone Company crusher and C&O siding, Ft. Spring, W. Va.'
Greenbrier River from Bridge at Alderson.  House visible on the shore.
Fourth of July parade being led by a horse-drawn carriage on a bridge in Alderson, W. Va.  Banner reads '1776 Victory 1919'
View of Greenbrier River from bridge at Alderson.  Road visible in the distance.
View of Greenbrier River from bridge at Alderson.
Group portrait of workers of the Concrete-Steel Bridge Company and their equipment working on 'new' Alderson Bridge.
Tree lined shore of the Greenbrier River.  Steel Bridge in the background.
Greenbrier River from near Alderson, looking East.