Search Constraints

You searched for: Date ca. 1900 Remove constraint Date: ca. 1900
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Caption reads: "Addie (Ada) R(osalie) Ireland. WVU Certificate in Art 1900."
Davis Child's Transitory Shelter, established in 1900, was funded by Senator Henry G. Davis and run by the Children's Home Society of West Virginia. It was located on Washington Street between Brooks and Boards Streets in Charleston, W. Va.
A view of the old Anderson home, located on University Avenue in Star City.
A view of Anderson's barn with one man, several chickens, and two mules in front. Text on back reads, "Now the site of St. Mary's Catholic Church. A bum stayed in this barn one night and burned it down, killing all thirteen horses."
A large group of young male glass workers pose outside of the Seneca Glass Factory in Morgantown.
A class of the Second Ward School with their teachers.
People climb on the wreckage of the Morgantown and Kingwood Railroad repair shops in Sabraton after a fire.
A view of the smoldering ruins of the Morgantown and Kingwood Railroad repair shops in Sabraton.
The "I. C. Woodward," launched in 1898 for the Pittsburgh, Brownsville, and Geneva Packet Company, and traveled between Pittsburgh and Morgantown. Woodburn Hall and Martin Hall can be seen on the bank in the background.
Hefner is pictured holding tools and a horseshoe at the entrance of his shop. A horse is seen inside his shop.  The Carroll Comedy Company broadside likely advertises a June 10, 1900 performance.
The store was built prior to 1890 and was used until 1951.
An unidentified man stands at the building's entrance.
The engine used oil headlights. Five men are pictured on and beside the locomotive.
Built in 1901, the Dunglen was a towering 4-story, 100-room wooden structure with a wrap-around deck. The Dunglen was known for the many parties it hosted, where huge dances were held in the elegant ballroom and symphonies would play through the night.According to Ripley’s Believe it or Not and the Guinness Book of World Records, the Dunglen housed the longest-running poker game, which stretched on through 14 years.The hotel was burned down by arsonists on July 22, 1930.
A group of men are pictured on and beside a train car.  A bridge in the background crosses the New River.
Store manager W. M. Pifer stands in front of the store entrance while his five employees sit on the stairs. An African-American man is pictured in a horse-drawn carriage to the left.
Two miners supervise the dogs pulling a cart of coal from the mine entrance.
The building on the right is a branch of the Merchants and Miners Bank.
Photograph of the school building, which served as both an elementary school and a high school.
A horse-drawn carriage is pictured outside of the building's entrance. The saloon sits next to a barber shop, pool parlor, and lunch diner.
View of the building's interior, where men and women shop workers pose behind the store counters. The building, believed to be built in 1884, was still standing at the time the caption was written.
An electric haulage rail system at mine no. 2. An Africa-American miner is pictured in the conductor's seat on the train engine. Miners inspect the coal loaded into the carts before it is transported.
Two oxen are hooked to a cart carrying coal inside of a mine.
A crowd is gathered on the steps at the store's entrance. The store is located next to railroad tracks, where C. & O. railroad cars are sitting.
Men stand beside the bar, holding drinks.
Three men and a young boy are pictured behind the bar. In the background, Magnolia Whiskey is shelved and advertised.
The man on the left points a gun at the man on the right, who is also reaching for his gun.  Subjects unidentified.
A group of men are pictured outside the building on a snowy day.  Several of the men hold rifles and other firearms.
Thomas G. McKell built the Kanawha, Glen Jean & Eastern Railway between Glen Jean, W. Va. and Deepwater, W. Va, a town situated on the Kanawha River. The rail line served as a means to transport coal for the McKell Coal & Coke Company, and made a connection with the C. & O. Railway as well.
Men and horses are gathered in front of the buildings. James L. Long, Attorney at Law and Notary Public, advertises fire, life, and accident insurance.  The Photograph Gallery advertises frames and art novelties for low prices.
Fire Creek is now a ghost town, located near the New River Gorge, Fayette County, W. Va.
Lawrence Perry, husband of Louise Edith Stephens, is pictured with associates outside of the train depot. Louise Edith is the daughter of Stacy Stephens, who was the son of Thomas Stephens.
"South Penn (Oil) Pump Station on Minor (Jacob) Farm a mile west of Blacksville.  Circa 1900. Bill Stephens son of Minor Stephens & Lillie (Minor) Stephens was the first pump man."
Portrait of a young Curtis Truman Lambert (b. 6/6/1905-d.12/19/1993).
Pictured from left to right are Dr. W. D. David; Stingley Hoffman; Alec Wilson; George Diddle; C. M. Murphy; M. C. Talbott; Dr. F. B. Murphy; Warren B. Kittle; Lloyd Robinson; Chas Hovattes; John T. Roger (sitting); and Stephen Holt.
Walter Lewis, marked on the far left, sits on a log with his coworkers.
Lewis is pictured on the far left.
Mrs. Ro. Murrell and friend pictured at scenic overlook near Hinton in Summers County, W. Va.
Flanagan home at 5th and Summers Street in Hinton, W. Va. Small girl on steps is unidentified.
Mrs. Ro. Murrell and another woman walk down a dirt road.
A view of the church building from across the street.
A view of a church building from across the road.
Rev. Asa Harman (b. 1834-d. 1902) was the first elected pastor of Harman Church of the Brethren in 1859.  The town of Harman is also named after him.  The Harman Church separated from a larger territory of congregations in 1897 and the church was named after the reverend.
This older building that housed the church burned in 1913 and was replaced with a new building.  The date the church was organized is unknown, but likely between 1860 and 1870.  A frame church was built in 1890 but destroyed by fire in 1913.  The name then changed to St. Luke Christian Church and a new building was erected in 1918.