Search Constraints

You searched for: Date 1936 Remove constraint Date: 1936
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

This old civil war vet was the last of his family as well as the last of his regiment.
Flood waters seen in Wheeling, W. Va. The water is seen at the top of some buildings and part way up other buildings.
Civil War Map of West Virginia. Showing present counties and county seats 1936. Includes railroads, turnpikes, lateral roads, county lines, states lines, and rivers.
Main Street in Downtown Wheeling, West Virginia is underwater because of the damaging flood of 1936.
People are watching a car being towed because of high water on the Monongahela River at Jimtown (Randell), junction U.S. Route 19, state route 7-100.
Group portrait of the 1936 West Virginia University Football Team. 'First row (left to right) are Hedrick, Ronai, Nebera, Sorenz, Neilson, Cropp, Atty, Barma, Wendell, Hodges. Second row (left to right) are Baker, Isaac, Eller, Keyle, Schwartzwalder, Gilmore, and unidentified. Third row (left to right) are Phares, McCue, Audria, Moan, DeAngelic, Dickenson, Frantz, Vockin, Faley, and unidentified.'
'Charles T. Gorby on porch above Gorby Brothers store fills a grocery order by lowering a bucket which has been added to the photograph. Jesse K. Gorby lived his last years in the apartment to the left of the upper porch; From a photograph in the Wetzel County Historical Museum.'
Buildings on both sides of the tracks.
Two cars are trapped in the flood waters while a crowd looks on from a railroad bridge.
Shelves with stocked store merchandise. Mr. Guinn is standing in the background of the picture.
Water is receding as people try to clean up the mess. Mud seen on the side walks and on people's clothes. Road is visible now, no longer covered with water.
People are paddling boats in order to travel down Main Street in Wheeling, West Virginia during the flood of 1936.
Damage to the buildings and electric poles apparent. Poeple stand on the sidewalks and walk down the street in Wheeling, W. Va.
Two people walk across a bridge with flood waters flowing over it.
There is a house in the background behind the store. 'Charlie Smith'
Flood waters sit in between two houses.
Mud and debris seen left after the flood waters receded in Wheeling, W. Va.
Smoke rises from the coke ovens at Fire Creek.
House with picket fence separating it from the railroad tracks.
Car parked along a flooded street in Berkeley Springs, W. Va.
Smoke rises from the coke ovens at Fire Creek.
Damage to buildings, caused by the flood waters, seen here. Waters left mud behind.
Houston Ware getting ready to board the 11:20 a.m. C&O train No. 14.
Flood waters of the 1936 flood in Wheeling, W. Va.
Men in field at Jacksons Mill for Mine Safety Day.
Coke ovens, tipple and white school house shown. Jr. Barker is on the bike.
Damage seen on buildings caused by the flood waters in Wheeling, W. Va.
Tipple with railroad cars underneath.
Flood waters engulf the Chevrolet Company building in Wheeling, W. Va.
Flooded buildings in Wheeling, W. Va.
Flood waters engulf a house.
Flood waters seen rising up the buildings in Wheeling, W. Va.
Flood water flowing through a city area with trees, a park bench, and an entrance with two globe lights.
View of coke ovens and surrounding buildings.
'Colored Church and school house. Corner of coke ovens and icehouse at Fire Creek.'
Print number 203c.
Car trapped in flood waters.
The Old Market House in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, damaged after the flood of March 18, 1936.
There is a house sitting behind the store. Man standing in front of store is Charlie Smith.
Piles in between coke ovens and railroad.
Smoke rises from the coke ovens. Filled coal cars are next to them.
Debris left the flood waters in Wheeling, W. Va. People rummage through debris and walk through the neighborhood.
Smoke rises from the coke ovens at Fire Creek.
The photo was taken at Mt. Wood Cemetery in Wheeling honoring S. P. Hullihen, M.D., D.D.S. (father of Oral Surgery in U. S. ): some attendees in the picture are identified as follows 1) C. Baxter Morris, D.D.S. President W. Va. State Dental Society 2) G. B. Writes, D.D.S., Pres. American Dental Assoc. 3)Edward P.  Armbrecht, D.D.S. Chairman Hullihen Day Celebration, City of Wheeling 4)F. N. Carroll, D.D.S., Pres. Wheeling district Dental Society 5)W. D. Giesler, D.D.S., Member of  Wheeling District Dental Society.
Camp friends and others in the classroom.
Harriet Lyon Jewett from a photo accompanying her April 1936 WVU Alumni reminiscence of life as one of WVU's first female students. Enlarged from Sallie Norris Showalter's copy of the WVU Alumni. Donor: Norris' grandaughter Sallie Showater Barnes.Harriet Eliza Lyon, a transfer student from Vassar College was WVU's first woman graduate. The only woman in the fourteen member Class of 1891, she won the honor of being valedictorian. Born in Fedonia, New York, she moved to Morgantown with her family in 1867 when her father, Franklin Smith Lyon, accepted a position as one of WVU's first professors. After graduating from the University, Harriet Lyon returned to Fredonia and married Franklin Jewett, a professor of science at the Fredonia Normal school. She raised four children and was active as a musician, singer, composer, and community leader. Harriet Lyon was a grandniece of Mary Lyon, the founder of Mt. Holyoke College.
"Cowboy" Loye Pack and family, including his 2 year old son, Gerald Malcolm Pack. Performed at WWVA Wheeling or WMMN Fairmont.
"The Virginian 102" was part of the Virginian Railway spur line that transported bituminous coal from southern West Virginia, 1909 to 1959.
This is the school building that was built to combine Cool Spring and Mt. View schools. No longer standing.
Participants march in file though a crowd of onlookers.
Interior of the house, west end of north wall of room to right of "?". Also known as Shepard Hall, the structure was built in 1798 by Moses Shepard.
View from the southwest.
View of outbuilding from south-east.
Also known as the Fairfax Grant Stock Farm, built ca. 1775.
Outbuilding which is probably a meat house on a large farm, viewed from the south-west.
View of the Horatio Gates home from the north-east.
Named Falling Spring and located near Shepherdstown, West Virginia. The structure was built by Jacob Morgan in 1841. Viewed from the south-east.
Built by Samuel Washington, younger brother of George Washington in 1770. Viewed from the north-west.
Built by John Thornton Augustine Washington, grand-nephew of George Washington, in 1825. View from the south-east.
Built by Samuel Washington, younger brother of George Washington, in 1770. View from the south-east.
Located near Leetown and built in 1835 by Federal Judge Henry St. George Tucker. View from the south-east.
Handhewn clapboard house was built ca. 1751. Peter Burr was first cousin to United States Vice President Aaron Burr.
Handhewn clapboard house was built ca. 1751. Peter Burr was first cousin to United States Vice President Aaron Burr.
John Worthington built the original structure in 1735. Dr. John Briscoe remodeled the house to it's present day appearance in 1780. View from the south-west.
The "back House' shown in the is photograph was built in ca. 1737 by Richard Morgan, and grandson, Daniel Morgan built the "Great House" ca. 1800.
West side and (north) back end. John Brown tried and convicted here in 1859. The building was badly damaged during the Civil War and eventually restored.
East side and north end. John Brown tried and convicted here in 1859. The building was badly damaged during the Civil War and eventually restored.
North and West walls of main courtroom on second floor. John Brown tried and convicted here in 1859. The building badly damaged during the Civil War and eventually restored.
North wall of the court room on the second floor. The building badly damaged during the Civil War and eventually restored.
Slave quarters and outbuilding viewed from the South East. Also known as the R. Lucas House.
A raumbild-verlag (stereocard) of the Stadion of Olympiade. This area was not badly damaged during the war, and was taken over in 1945 as the headquarters of the British military contingent in Berlin. Returned to German control in the mid-1990s, much of this area remains today as it did in 1936, still a sports center.
A raumbild-verlag (stereocard) of the Stadion of Olympiade, Hous of German sports. This area was not badly damaged during the war, and was taken over in 1945 as the headquarters of the British military contingent in Berlin. Returned to German control in the mid-1990s, much of this area remains today as it did in 1936, still a sports center.
Marshall Burns outbuilding viewed from S.W.
Originally built in 1750, Beverley has been remodeled several times. Near Rippon, West Virginia.
View from the N.W. of the log house.
Also known as the Vinton Farm, the house was built in 1840.
A Georgian style mansion built in 1840 by Bushrod C. Washington, grand nephew of George Washington.